Tickets to an historical home whose volunteers host an Afternoon Tea as a fund raiser make a great gift to honor a tea drinker on a special occasion. If you can attend with the event with them, all the better!
Start by checking historical homes and museums near where you live or where your tea drinker lives. You may be fortunate to find an event near the time of the special date, but likely you will have to buy tickets a good bit in advance. Your honoree can then look forward to spending time with you and enjoying afternoon tea at a later date. Many historical homes with volunteers who host afternoon tea will also provide a tour of the home as part of the tea event. Do not be surprised if the fund raiser event also has other fund raising opportunities like a raffle and gift shop. You will be treating your special tea drinker to a fun afternoon for a reasonable cost.
One such occasion is the Harris Lass Museum Afternoon Tea and Fashion Show held annually in June in Santa Clara, California. http://santaclaraca.gov/index.aspx?page=41&recordid=7177 OR http://www.meetup.com/Lets-Go-to-Afternoon-Tea/events/43874102/. There are similar events held year round throughout the country.
Friends and I attend this event regularly. They bring friends, mothers bring daughters or their mothers – to enjoy a delightful afternoon tea, raffle, entertainment and gift store shopping. For just $25 person, this noon until about 4 PM event is worth the price of admission. Be warned, quality events like these, that have been held for years will likely sell out. If you find an event with tickets available, act quickly.
This year I conducted an informal survey of the 8 women at our table. I asked each what they thought would be in the perfect tea gift basket. I was surprised by the answers, maybe you will be too.
- An equal number of women expressed a preference for white tea as well as for black, green and herbal tea. One person also added they enjoyed Oolong tea.
- Four mentioned loose leaf tea instead of tea bags.
- Whether or not the tea was organic or fair traded was not noted as significant.
- 7 women would enjoy a tea cup and saucer in their gift; 3 would want a teapot and; 4 a tea spoon.
- For accessories; 4 women would want an infuser of some kind; 2 a tea thermometer; 2 a tea measuring spoon and; 1 a tea scale.
- A couple of women mentioned adding a tea book, stationary or tea wallet – a tea gift to the basket.
- Whatever else you add to a tea gift basket, do not forget the cake or cookies! Even more than candy, everyone wanted either cake or cookies to enjoy with their tea!
To make my friends happy with a tea gift basket, and maybe yours too; include any type tea, with loose leaf tea and tea bag selections. Add a teacup and infuser to the basket and maybe a gift. Do not forget to add cake or cookies, your tea drinker if they are like my friends, will be disappointed if your gift does not include a sweet treat too!